Each course can stand alone but together they give you the skills to support your child as a learner, a reader and a writer and a mathematician.
Active Education Parent Workshops are fun and packed with simple activities you can incorporate into your daily routines.
- The child
- Learning made easy and fun
- Daily 1:1 reading practice with trained reading mentor (parent)
- Orchestrated reading and writing strategies
- Fluent reading and writing of high frequency words and text
- Consistent strategy development at home and school
- Accelerated learning through demonstrated researched practices
- Simple fun activites to help with maths concepts
- Building on what is known, making new learning easier and more consolidated.
- Joint understandings of expectations and delivery of reading and writing strategies between home and school.
- Completed in the comfort of your home by tele-seminar or downloadable. (Coming 2008)
- Confidence in parent ability to effectively support your children’s learning
- Encouraging your child’s participation and risk taking strategies
- Long term relationship building with child and parent aligned with school expectations in reading and writing.
- Excitement about the accelerated learning of your child in reading and writing
- Ability to participate effectively in support a reader programs at school
- Understandings of how children learn and the best ways to easily and effectively support them at home
- Effective ways to motivate your child to learn and improve school results
- Improved understandings of how to introduce and reinforce maths skills easily in the home context
- Understanding how children learn using visual, auditory and kineasthetic learning styles and processing
- Ways to easily make learning fun for your children
- Confidence that you as a parent are the most important life long teacher that your children will experience.
The introductory talk is about children’s learning styles, processing, nutrition and brain integration. It provides you with clear guidelines on how to identify a processing problem, how to best link learning to your child’s own knowledge base and what foods and exercises can improve your child’s learning capacity. We discuss how to create a positive learning environment; how to motivate your child to learn (even reluctant learners); and how to keep learning fun and under the control of the learner, your child.
Active Education Reading Course
The Reading Course provides you with simple clear instructions on how to support your child to learn to read. I have had the results with one parent whose child improved 12months in reading age in 8 weeks following my guidelines. This child was previously at risk in his literacy learning. Similarly parents have said now their kids love to read whereas previously they were hiding their reading homework.
Active Education Writing Course
The Writing Course builds on the reading but linking it easily to writing and how to best support your child. In the early years up to age 8 what a child can easily write they can easily read. Practical suggestions on getting your child to write and learn how to spell are included. The more they write the easier they can read. Learning letters and words and writing for a purpose ie a letter, recipe, shopping list. All suggestions are linked to things you can do at home about information your child is interested in. Improving your child’s writing with simple editing steps are overviewed. How to make school projects easy rather than battle grounds is included.
Active Education Maths Course
The Maths Course works through everyday maths situations that arise at home and how you as a parent can include maths homework into the shopping, cooking, sewing and for the Dad’s the back shed jobs. Children need to see that maths is a practical daily problem solving issue. We have to juggle finances, work out food portions, project measurements. These are all valuable learning experiences for children to understand how maths works and why it is so important in our daily interactions. Numeration or place value of numbers is also included ie 3489 =3000 + 400 +80 +9. I have found overviewing this with parents makes them see how easy it is to help their child with maths homework.